Grandpa loves to try new things. I sometimes believe there's nothing that he isn't willing to try!
Everyone was brave and tried some. Most of the kids loved them. Grandpa got to eat most of them, though! We had hot dogs and S'mores to finish off the meal.
Camping at the Koa was an interesting experience. All the state parks were full. And most of the private campgrounds refused to accept 5 children. The only place we could find that wasn't a hotel room was the KOA in Wallport. However, we had to pay $80.00 for a small piece of dirt! I couldn't believe it! Our group was so big, I had to pay extra per person, plus lodging tax and other fees.
The only good thing was that we were right next to the playground. There is zero privacy. It's like everyone camping squished next together in a tiny park. It really made us realize how much better the State parks are. Large camping sites with greenery, privacy, and more at only $21.00 is a MUCH better deal. We had to pay a ridiculous amount for firewood. But at least we found a place to stay! With the size of our party, we probably would have had to get 2 hotel rooms, and that would have tripled our costs.
Well, I've learned my lesson. Don't try and camp unless you have a reservation! I'm feeling grateful for the fact that our family usually gets to camp in the off-season!
The next morning, Scott, Christopher, and Grandpa all went Clamming from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. The Koa is stingy with their hours. You can't check in till 4 p.m., but you have to check out by 11 a.m. So Scott had to rush back to us early to help me pack up. I had a really relaxing morning. I put Backyardigans on for the kid in the trailer, and then I just read books. I put Julie down for a nap and watched the older kids play at the park and make new friends. It was soo nice.
After we packed up, We spent a little while watching all the men go Crabbing. It's boring for the little kids after a while...and COLD. Plus I couldn't relax with Julie for a second since we were on a dock surrounded by open water. So I took all the girls to play at the Aquarium.
When the men finished crabbing and bought lots of ice to soak their critters in, we spent the rest of the day checking out the Newport Coast Aquarium. They have a new exhibit called Swamplands, and a GIANT Anaconda. We had a terrific time, but Courtney was Very sad that Oddwater was gone. She had loved that exhibit. Once again, it was not as nice an experience because the new exhibit had just opened and it was a Saturday. I had never seen the Aquarium so CROWDED.
It was a long drive back home, and we all struggled to stay awake. It was so nice to get back and take showers to wash all the sand and salt off! *phew!*
Our last day with Grandpa was spent at church and listening to stories together.
I was blessed to be able to get lots more information from Grandpa on finishing Marlene's history. I'll start working on that again as soon as the weather cools down and harvest season is over.
That night we had a big wart-burning party. Grandpa was kind enough to bring all his equipment. He burned off 4 of my warts, and several of Scott's as well.
OUCH!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment