Today I got to watch my sister and husband catch a bee swarm. That was a new experience!
Even with a bee suit and a veil, you've got to admit that it takes a lot of courage to face a couple of hundred bees armed with stingers.
But they were as cool as cucumbers, clipping away the butterfly bush till they reached the swarm and gently placed it in a box. The bees were swarming like nuts, but my sister said that by nightfall every single last bee would be in the box with the queen, and would then be ready to take home to a new hive.
Scott then spent a good part of the day looking through our own hive. He found some queens that might be ready to hatch soon, and then separated them from the main colony in hopes that when they hatch they will start a second colony in our backyard.
I am hoping that by the fall, we will get to harvest lots of raw honey. I want to try taking some for my allergies. I've hear from numerous people that it is a much way than medicine to help allergies. I guess when you eat honey that was made from the plants that you are allergic to, that it helps your body treat itself. I'd like to give that a try!
Monday, June 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment