Sunday, July 12, 2009

Progress for Julie!!!


Julie finally learned how to sit up by herself! And then 2 days ago, she at last figured out how to pull into a stand up position!

Julie may be almost 14 months old, but she has been very delayed in learning some basic large motor development skills. I've been worried about her safety, since she refused to crawl and hates being on her tummy. But in June she learned how to scoot on her bottom. And now over the last 2 weeks she's figured out how to push herself up into a sitting position. That made it so for days she couldn't take a nap. She'd sit up and then couldn't figure out how to lay back down! I'm so pleased that she's learned how to pull up at last. Not on everything, but she's making good progress. Now she just needs to figure out how to stand up herself without anything to pull up on, and she'll be ready to learn to walk! I still hope that she'll learn how to crawl for real.

Julianna can walk by herself. She can walk at least 20 steps with no help whatsoever, but she's usually too terrified to try it. She'll walk if the thinks I'm holding on to her. It's because she still doesn't know how to fall or catch herself. She falls like a stiff tree and bonks her head. So sad to see! I've got to work on that with her before she gets badly injured! But at least I no longer have to worry that she'll drown in 1 inch of water just because she can't push herself up.

The hard part on me now, is that Julianna is almost never happy. She's filled with continual anguish that she can't get up and move well on her own. It's driving us all NUTS! She pretty much cries ALL DAY LONG unless I'm holding her hand and walking her all over the place, inside and out. She wants to steer me, and she throws a fit if I don't go where she wants. Unfortunately, her fits involve throwing herself backwards and banging her head.

Julie sees the Doctor for her 1st year check up this week. I wonder if he'll want to put her in therapy, or if he'll say her development is within the normal range.

1 comment:

  1. I'm posting my comment to my blog, There and Back Again. We're having similar problems with Stevie.

    ReplyDelete