Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Braces in 2011

Whoop-de-doo....we are now entering the new and as-yet unexplored realm of orthodontics in our family.

Christopher got his first consultation this week for getting braces put on in the near future. I've known this day was coming since his permanent teeth first came in. I'm glad we've gotten to wait this long!

He will probably be getting braces on a little after his 12th birthday. By the time his braces come off, it will be just in time to put Dorathy's braces on!

Christopher just needs to loose his last 3 baby molars and let the permanent teeth come in. They want all the permanent teeth in before they start the ordeal, but they don't want to wait too long because Chris has a canine that has been stuck for a while. It has no place to come down to. If it starts to descend before they put the braces on, it will cause who knows what kind of havoc in his mouth.

They say it should take about 18 months to straighten out Christopher's teeth and correct his overbite.

I had braces on for 2 1/2 years from the age of 13 yrs to 15 1/2 yrs. I remember what a pain they were, but how WONDERFUL it was when they were taken off! Having my teeth fit together, and my underbite corrected was such a miracle. Chewing used to give me headaches.

Dorathy's braces will be a bit more complicated. She already has a cross-bite and much more crooked teeth than Chris. She has one tooth that is completely sideways and to the back. (I used to have more than one of those!).

My kids asked me the other day, "What did people to before they invented braces?"
"They had crooked teeth." I answered.
"That doesn't sound so bad." they replied.
"No, it's not so bad. Most people don't get to have braces...they just have to deal with crooked teeth. But believe me, straight teeth are NICE!" I assured them.
"Well, is it a serious condition?" Christopher was anxious to know. "Has anyone ever, well,....DIED because of crooked teeth?"
"Of course not!" I laughed, "Well not as far as I know!"
"Well then, why should I get braces?" he asked sincerely. "I could live with crooked teeth!"

While at the Dentist's office, Christopher was most concerned over what he would or wouldn't be able to eat. He was very distressed to find out that his candy choice would be limited. (not that he eats that much candy...but I guess it's really important to him!


It looks like the cost for the braces is comparable to a monthly car payment.

One more reason to keep on driving my paid-for van until it absolutely falls apart! But I'll keep fantasizing about my dream 12 passenger van where I can separate my kids so they're not poking each other and screaming "She touched me!" in the back seat.

Soooo....it's time to start saving up our money! I guess as the kids get older, their needs get greater, and the pocket-book gets tighter. I'm going to be practicing some penny-pinching skills!!!

I hope the next 3 kids have straight teeth! If they could inherit Scott's great teeth instead of my crooked bad ones, that would be such a blessing!


No comments:

Post a Comment