He then gave one to Julianna to convince her to come out of her seat. She starts licking it and says "Mmmm.....Junk food!" Then she hears the birds tweeting and flying over her head and she says, "Oh, no! The birds want my junk food! No birds, NO! My Junk Food! Mine!"
Mmm....what did my daughter just learn?
Overall, our transfer to healthy, non processed foods has gone relatively well. I cooked black bean tacos for dinner last night, and at first all the kids complained and put up a huge stink...especially since I've been cooking beans a lot lately. Lentil stew, white bean chili, pizza beans, and now the tacos.
But then the kids surprised me. As soon as they started eating...the complements began! They all LOVED it! Even Courtney, my texture-driven bean hater adored this recipe. Everyone ate thirds and BEGGED me to cook it again...and it was soooo easy! I added a little extra coarse ground corn meal, and it made the texture closer to ground beef.
I'm so excited whenever I find a healthy recipe that actually works. I've been experimenting with coconut, peanut butter, and almond cookies. They have been quite good!
I don't buy ice cream anymore. I make homemade fruit yogurt smoothies in my vitamix and then just freeze them into a variety of popsicle shapes. It feels so good to not feel any guilt about giving your kids a treat!!!
I must admit, that my kids want to go crazy and binge on food that we don't have in the house if I'm not careful to allow them the occasional splurge. But just living life with parties, events, and other trips gives them plenty of opportunities to eat things we don't normally provide at home.
We start each day with a green smoothie. The kids each drink 8 oz, and the big kids and adults have 16 - 32 oz. I tell everyone that it is their daily "vitamin". We have been blessed with the healthiest winter of our lives as a result!

No comments:
Post a Comment