Sunday, April 19, 2009

Tillamook Forestry Center


A few weeks ago, we went to the Tillamook Forestry Center! It was a 2 hr drive, but it was a great experience! All the activities and exhibits there were free (which doesn't happen very often!) First, we got to climb up a huge forestry lookout tower. That was quite a climb! Angel did it all by herself. I had a bit harder of a time with a 20 lb baby on my back. I thought I would be okay, though. I found out my mistake the next morning, however, when I tried to walk and my legs just collapsed under me! My thighs ached for DAYS!

The Actual Forestry Center had lots to see and do. We started out with a 30 minute movie all about the many Tillamook Forest fires, and the final big one that burned over 250,000 acres. We learned how for a while, every six years there was a terrible fire. They called it the "six year jinx". After the last big fire, they finally got the resources and know-how on how to stop it. They replanted so many trees, that today you can't tell that there was ever a fire!

The kids enjoyed playing dress up again. There was a miniature "train station" and a buggy board. There was a spot to "plant a tree" and a kids' "river" you could climb inside and hear the sounds of the water and see the fish.

Julie did pretty well considering she had no nap ALL DAY!

We had a picnic outside despite the damp and cool, and then we took a short hike across a bridge. We couldn't go very far, because all the trails were still blocked after all the winter storms we had in December. The kids want to go back when the trails are clear so we can see more of the beautiful river and forest.


On the way home, we stopped at the Tillamook Cheese Factory where we all enjoyed watching our favorite cheese get made! The kids can never get enough of staring at all that cheese going through all the conveyor belts. It looks like a cheese roller coaster. At long last I dragged them back downstairs where we got lots of free cheese samples. We ended the day with tasty Tillamook Ice Cream Cones. Julie got her first taste of ice cream...and it was a memorable one!!! She shook with joy and opened her mouth as FAR AS POSSIBLE to make sure she got every lick of ice cream available.

All day field trips are exhausting, but it's worth it to hear my kids treasure up all the learning experiences and FUN! I'm sure we'll go back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment