Here are some fun pictures of us in the rainy campground at Jedediah Smith Redwoods.
I think we had the most beautiful and roomy campsite in the entire Park! We loved it. There was so much room for the kids to play.
They had fallen logs to walk on, little gulches to hide in, and "tree houses" with roofs of low hanging branches. It made some really good spots for Hide n Seek!
Our little piece of paradise looked like a Rain forest from Dinosaur times, and so of course the kids played pretend they were dinosaurs! They discovered that the back of our campsite bordered on the nature trail, and they loved to go back to an unusual tree they dubbed "Face Monument."
Some fun things we got to do while camping: Hike in the rain and thunderstorms. Thank goodness for ponchos!
Play at the River beach, discovering that river sand does not mold like beach sand!
Exploring the campsite and the nature trails.
Walking Julianna in the stroller all through the campsite every morning from 5 to 7 a.m. so she wouldn't wake up all the other sleepers in our tent trailer. Unfortunately, her cheerful noises probably woke up other campers as we strolled along. At least most campers are really early risers! We are glad we didn't meet any bears on our lonely walks! Scott and I took turns every other waking up with the baby. Once it was light and the birds began chirping, she was up!
Hand-washing and then drying our towels over the fire since it was two wet, cold, and dark for anything to line dry.
Trying to wash all the kids and myself in showers you had to pay for before your minutes were up. I could have done it if the water temperature had been easier to control! I'm grateful I found one extra quarter, or I would have been rinsing the shampoo out of my head beneath the camp's cold water spigot.
Cooking delicious food in our dutch ovens.
Playing games in the now muddy and wet tent trailer to escape from more mud and wet outside. We did connect 4, mad libs(everyone's favorite), and lots of go fish.
Spending lots of time at the Visitor's Center out of the rain. We read lots of good books there!
Exploring and hiking at the Trees of Mystery and taking a Gondola ride. It's a very touristy place, but the Gondola ride is worth the price. It gives you a view of Mountains, the Redwoods, and the Ocean beyond. Breathtaking!
Buying a pavilion canopy to cover our picnic table so we can eat without getting soggy wet bums from the soaking wet wood. The only thing I have to say about that, is we should have bought one sooner!
Reading books by lantern light.
Singing songs and telling stories around the campfire. The relaxing family moments around the fire at night was definitely my favorite part of our whole vacation. I think everyone in the family feels the same way!

Very fun! Your kids will always have fond memories of the family vacation, even the showering with quarters!
ReplyDelete