I don't like taking them to the Dollar Store with me because they always want to spend whatever money they have on candy. I don't like my kids eating sugar, they're hyper enough! We've really cut down on sugar at our house lately. Someday I'd like our family to be sugar- free. So I grumble and groan about them buying candy, but I did it as a kid and so I let them. I figure it's their money to waste and maybe they'll get irresponsible purchases out of their system when they're young.
But the drama doesn't end there. Soon there are candy wrappers strewn around their bedroom floor. And then there is the bargaining and bartering where they trade candy or "buy" candy from each other (with money, toys, or personal favors) Then there's my 5 year old who occasionally sneaks from her siblings, and then has to pay back what she owes them. Then there's the bullying from older siblings trying to trick younger siblings out of their candy. Then there's 2 year old Angel who wants candy, but doesn't have candy, and no one will share with her. Then there's little baby Jewel who nearly chokes on a jolly rancher wrapper. Then our food-sensitive beagle, Lucy, begins making secret stealthy forays into the backrooms snatching whatever candy she can find. (she's normally not allowed back there!) We caught her several times trying to run outside with an airhead in her mouth. You know you're in deep trouble when your two year old is banging on the 10 year old's door crying and shouting "I want a watermelon flavor! It turns my mouth red!"*sob*
At this point I was about ready to go through the whole house, scour all the candy out and throw it in the TRASH while imperiously announcing that candy is hereby OUTLAWED!!
It turns out I didn't have a chance to do it because they ate it all in 48 hours. I'm definitely going to work on that NO CANDY rule! They can save up their money for something else! They are all going to the dentist in April, and if any of them has even one cavity, I'm going to use it for emotional leverage to state my case! And I won't even feel guilty doing that! (well, maybe just a little)
To illustrate our conflicting stance on candy:
Our Halloween candy is always gathered immediately in one huge tin, stored on top of the refrigerator, and then promptly forgotten for the year until it's so old it has to be thrown out... I DON'T WANT MY KIDS EATING TRASHY CANDY! Why do we then go trick or treating? I guess the getting is more fun than the eating?....I don't know. One of those unhealthy American traditions we can't seem to do without.

A friend of mine collects the candy from her kids and "donates it" to the Halloween Fairy (putting outside the back door). Then in the morning there is a small toy for each of the kids and the Halloween Fairy has taken the candy to give to needy kids at Christmas (or placed in the trash depending upon the availability of an accepting charity). I have also used SMALL ziploc bags with each childs' name on them. They can put enough in there to fill it and it is then stored in the pantry for Mom to give out at her discretion; thereby, (hopefully) avoiding the whole "so & so took my candy" or "somebody's been stealing my candy" issue. I don't think any solution is perfect. I sympathize with you on your frustration. Melanie
ReplyDelete