Friday, January 23, 2009

I totally caved

So I totally caved.

So much for all my high mindedness and soap box speeches and thinking I was above the psychology of behaviorism!

Angel decided she was interested in potty training again, and she was doing pretty good despite the occasional accident. One day, I could tell she really needed to go pee, but she was refusing to go on the potty, she just wasn't interested. It was temporarily unimportant.

Then I said it. "If you go pee-pee, you'll get a treat!" I was so shocked that that came out of my mouth, I literally turned around to see who heard me say it. All the older kids were staring at me (they know how I feel on this subject) they started to protest,"but Mom! You said..."

"I know what I said" I declared helplessly... "I've changed my mind!" In a moment of desperation, I sold my morals for a temporary quick-fix. Each kid is different though, maybe this time it will be a huge success and I won't regret it! (hope hope hope hope hope!)

Angel's eyes lit up, she happily went pee pee and then gleefully collected one jelly bean.

So now we have a potty chart above the toilet, and every time Angel goes #1 she gets a small sticker and a small treat. For two days she has gone potty 90% of the time in the potty and has even been wearing underwear! We haven't made any progress on #2 however, despite the bribes of a BIG sticker and a BIG treat.

Well, time will tell if this will work or backfire like it has in the past for me. So far, so good, though. Angel is pretty excited about all the hoopla. She's crazy about stickers, and it's making her feel pretty darn special that she is the ONLY one in the house getting cute little valentine treats. Older siblings are jealous of that, but older siblings also have money that they wasted away on trashy candy from the Dollar Tree....and then hoarded in their room refusing to share it with Angel.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, whatever works! That's what I say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE potty training!!! Hate, hate, HATE it! Sorry to vent! Can you tell I'm trying to train 2 right now? Emma, barely 3 is completely capable and aware, but totally uninterested no matter WHAT method I try (bribery, spending every second of our day in the bathroom, etc.). Isaiah, 1 1/2, is actually telling me often when he needs to go potty. So. . .he's a little more interested, but still not quite there. Heaven help us potty training mothers! :)

    ReplyDelete